An interesting development: The magazine Game Developer recently announced the finalists for the 2009 Front Line Awards, gathering “the year’s best game-making tools in the categories of programming, art, audio, game engine, middleware, and books.”
In the book category, the finalists are:
- Game Coding Complete 3rd Edition by Mike McShaffry (Charles River Media)
- Game Engine Architecture by Jason Gregory (AK Peters)
- Mastering Unreal Technology Vol. 1 by Jason Busby, Zak Parrish, and Jeff Wilson (Sams Publishing)
- Racing the Beam: The Atari Video Computer System by Nick Montfort and Ian Bogost (The MIT Press)
- Real Time Cameras: A Guide for Game Designers and Developers by Mark Haigh-Hutchinson (Morgan Kaufmann)
In 2007, Pat Harrigan and Noah Wardrip-Fruin’s collection Second Persion was a finalist, so we’re not breaking any ground here for digital media studies or MIT Press. But it’s nice to be selected by the folks at Game Developer.