Apollo 18+20, a Tribute to an Album in Interactive Fiction

Monday 26 March 2012, 1:15 pm   //////

The organizer of the People’s Republic of Interactive Fiction, Kevin Jackson-Mead, has organized and co-written a tribute to the 1992 They Might Be Giants Album, Apollo 18. At the PR-IF site, you can play and download 38 short games corresponding to every song (including the “Fingertips” songs) on the album. With its retro cachet, it may be today’s version of Dial-a-Song:

Apollo 18+20.

1. Are there hints for your entry? “Climb rocky climb” and “overlook overlook” don’t seem to do anything, leaving me unsure of the affordances. That is to say, I don’t know what I can do.

(I realize that, given my entry, for me to say that someone else has a recalcitrant parser is the chutziest chutzpah.)

Comment by matt w — 2012-03-27 @ 4:16 pm
  2. Matt, you’re on the right track but you aren’t looking far enough down the trail.

Comment by Nick Montfort — 2012-03-27 @ 5:13 pm
  3. Trail? What trail?

Comment by matt w — 2012-03-27 @ 10:09 pm
  4. Look back further. Read those words. Those, read. Further back. Look!

Comment by Nick Montfort — 2012-03-27 @ 10:12 pm
  5. Hold on… comment on hold.

Comment by matt w — 2012-03-27 @ 10:14 pm
  6. Aha moment: try backwards heading, heading backwards. Try… moment… Aha!

Nicely done palindromes! Good seeing good palindromes done nicely.

Comment by matt w — 2012-03-27 @ 10:49 pm
  7. Yay!

Comment by Nick Montfort — 2012-03-27 @ 10:50 pm
  8. (And by the power of posting, I figured it out after comment 3. I’d tried “view canyon view”; I think that the first time I tried a palindromic command was the first time I got a different response, which led me down a rabbit hole.)

Comment by matt w — 2012-03-27 @ 10:51 pm
  9. [...] a recent IF tribute to a They Might Be Giants album might help to delude some people about this, interactive fiction these days is not about fandom and [...]